Tuesday 18 June 2013

Miscellaneous Mondays: In a World... Where Monday Posts Go Up on Tuesdays...

I’d like to offer my apologies for posting this Monday update in the wee hours of Tuesday morning; I was distracted first by a powerful need to see Man of Steel, and then by an equally powerful need to figure out everything that was wrong with Man of Steel. (More on that next week.)

However, while that cinematic experience ultimately disappointed, I did discover a film potentially worth watching this week. It would be more accurate to say that my sister discovered it, as she not only found the trailer, but forced me to watch it by nudging me via text every few minutes. It is thanks to her that I’m now telling you to schedule some time to go to a movie theatre in August.



In a World... tells the story of a group of fierce, mutated, female Amazonian warriors battling prehistoric cavemen hybrids in a scenario based on the Prussian War. Well, sort of. At least for a few minutes. And I’m sure those minutes will be awesome. The rest of the time, however, it tells the story of the woman booked to do the voice-over for the trailer of that film and her struggle to break into the male-dominated field of movie trailer narration.

Lake Bell, the writer, director, and star of the film, has said that she wanted to explore the reason for the exclusion of women from the trailer voice-over field: “The male voice is just deemed, ‘the omniscient voice,’ whether it’s because we coin God as a He, and it could [be] that sort of culturally significant, or it’s just literally the resonance … [is] easier and more authoritative to hear. Which both are interesting conversations, and ones that I wanted to explore in the movie.”

As a person who wants to hear women’s voices telling me what ridiculous hijinks I can look forward to seeing in the next Hollywood blockbuster, and as someone who spent far too much time during my childhood affecting a terrible Russian accent, I will definitely be checking out In a World..., and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment