Monday 25 March 2013

Miscellaneous Mondays: ECCC Round-up Part 3

If you’re still on the fence about buying access to the Emerald City Comicon footage, here’s a small snippet from a panel with Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton, the “Geek & Sundry Panel of Awesome”.

Audience Question: As a female in a largely male-dominated genre, how do you maintain your femininity and keep the girly thing going?

Felicia Day: I just do whatever the hell I want.

Wil Wheaton: Yeah! Bravo.

Felicia Day: A lot of people want to make girl gamers or girl geeks a controversy. A lot of people are trying to make it their identity. I respect everybody. I’m just myself. I am a girl who loves what I love. I don’t know a lot about some things, like I don’t know deep lore about Star Wars; that doesn’t not make me a gamer or a geek. If I don’t know how to play Call of Duty, great; I’ll kick your ass at Skyrim. I do whatever I want. If I dress sexy, it’s ‘cause I feel like it, not for somebody else. It’s all just me being me, and it’s incidentally I’m a girl. I love ordering shoes. These are pretty good; I got them off a set, but generally... I just like the things I like and I represent myself, and a lot of those things happen to be “geek genre” things, but I’m not one thing, and nobody is just one thing. And to allow yourself to be pigeon-holed defeats all of us, ‘cause then we’re just a label and a mash-up T-shirt, and we’re all more than that.

Wil Wheaton: If you’re one of those people that makes that question need to be asked, fuck you.

No comments:

Post a Comment